Shipping at the Port of Savannah
The Port of Savannah is a major U.S. seaport located at Savannah, Georgia. As of 2021, the port was the third busiest seaport in the United States. Its facilities for oceangoing vessels line both sides of the Savannah River and are approximately 18 miles from the Atlantic Ocean.
The Port of Savannah is operated by the Georgia Ports Authority (GPA). The GPA also operates the Port of Brunswick, Georgia, and three inland ports linked to the Gulf of Mexico. The Port of Savannah is a major economic driver for the state of Georgia and the region. It supports over 439,000 jobs in Georgia and generates over $25 billion in economic impact each year. The port handles a wide variety of cargo, including containers, roll-on/roll-off (RO/RO), breakbulk, and project cargo. It is also a major port of call for cruise ships. The Port of Savannah is a vital link in the global supply chain. It connects businesses in Georgia and the region to markets around the world.
To ship cargo at the Port of Savannah, you will need to work with a freight forwarder or shipping company. They will handle the details of shipping your cargo, including:
- Booking space on a vessel
- Preparing the necessary documentation
- Arranging for transportation to and from the port
- Handling any customs clearance requirements
Here are some key things to keep in mind when shipping at the Port of Savannah:
- Cargo types: The Port of Savannah handles a wide variety of cargo, including containers, RO/RO, breakbulk, and project cargo.
- Documentation: You will need to provide a variety of documentation for your shipment, including a commercial invoice, packing list, and bill of lading.
- Customs clearance: If your shipment is crossing international borders, you will need to clear customs. Your freight forwarder or shipping company can help you with this process.
- Transportation: You will need to arrange for transportation of your cargo to and from the port. The Port of Savannah has on-terminal rail and highway access.
- Storage: If your cargo needs to be stored at the port, you will need to arrange for warehousing.
Here are some tips for shipping at the Port of Savannah:
- Plan ahead: It is important to plan your shipment well in advance, especially if you are shipping during peak season. The peak season for the Port of Savannah is typically from August to December, with the busiest month being November.
- Work with a reputable freight forwarder or shipping company: A good freight forwarder or shipping company can help you navigate the shipping process and ensure that your cargo arrives at its destination on time and in good condition.
- Provide accurate and complete documentation: Make sure to provide your freight forwarder or shipping company with all the necessary documentation for your shipment.
- Be aware of customs clearance requirements: If your shipment is crossing international borders, be sure to understand the customs clearance requirements.
- Arrange for transportation to and from the port: Make sure to arrange for transportation of your cargo to and from the port.
Speaking of Transportation to and from the port; Drayage is the short-distance transportation of goods, typically by truck. It is often used to transport goods between different modes of transportation, such as from a ship to a warehouse or from a warehouse to a retail store. Drayage companies have the necessary equipment to transport a wide variety of goods, including shipping containers, breakbulk cargo, and project cargo.
Portage Logistics, LLC is a shipping company that can help shippers of cargo at the Port of Savannah in several ways, including:
- Freight forwarding: Portage Logistics can handle all the details of shipping your cargo, including booking space on a vessel, preparing the necessary documentation, arranging for transportation to and from the port, and handling any customs clearance requirements, or they can work with your freight forwarder.
- Warehousing: Portage Logistics has a network of warehouses in the Savannah area. This allows them to provide storage for your cargo before, during, or after shipping.
- Drayage: Portage Logistics can provide drayage services to transport your cargo to and from the Port of Savannah.
- Transportation management: Portage Logistics can help you to manage your transportation needs by providing you with a single point of contact for all your shipping needs.
If you are shipping cargo at the Port of Savannah, consider working with Portage Logistics, LLC. By leveraging relationships and experience, Portage can bring you a reliable, yet reasonably priced, “one-stop shop” for shipping at the Port of Savannah.